Posts Tagged ‘grooming cufflinks’
How to Shave with a Safety Razor
We’ve been asking cosmopolitan New York men what they want to read about. While on a creative journey to give our readership the best possible advice, fashion tips, articles, and…pure nuggets of brilliance, we stumbled upon this video by Raoul Pop. It was recommended to us by one of our readers, so we thought we’d share.
It definitely applies to ALL men, everywhere. It’s all about the little things, like shaving your face. Here Raoul gives invaluable advice about how to use aSaftey Razor and how to properly shave your face in the best possible way (in the best possible world. Had to throw a little Candide in there…)
1. Step Number One: Start with a new blade. Blades are made in different ways, with different flexibilities, different cuts/angles of the blade, etc, so find the one brand/type that works best for your face. Finding the right blade may be a bit of trial and error, but once you find it, stick with it. Raoul uses the Gillette Stainless Steel Blade.
Blade Tie Clip
2. Step Number Two: Warm the blade, brush, and your face with warm water. This can be done in many ways, which we’ll get to in tomorrow’s blog, but essentially, the warming process is pretty imperative between it works in two ways: First, it primes the razor for contact and it also primes the hair. You facial hair should be soft when properly damp.
3. Step Number Three: Try to use shaving soap, rather than gel. The gel will dry quicker than the soap. So if you use gel, you have to keep moistening your face to eliminate the dryness.
4. Step Number Four: Try not to go over the same spot too much. This means: do a first pass, then a second pass.
5. Step Number Five: After the first pass, re-apply the lotion/gel. Now it’s time for the second pass.
Don’t press the razor to the face, let the weight of the razor apply the pressure.
Cut with the grain, meaning you should cut the hair in the direction which the hair grows. Very important, because if you go against the grain, this can cause irritation.
For more information and a detailed analysis of products, tricks, and tips, click here.
What kind of brush should you use?
Preferably ones with badger hair
What’s the best shaving soap to use?
Williams Mug Shaving Soap.
TIP: Make sure you warm your shaving mug in warm water as well. I.e. submerged the mug in warm water, just under the rim of the cup, to heat it.
What about an after shave?
Witch’s Hazel! Easy, quick, and cheap.
STAY TUNED FOR MORE SHAVING AND GROOMING TIPS FOR MEN…