Archive for the ‘Music Cufflinks’ Category
Guest Speaker: Lady Speaks A lot
Some of our favorite CLM patrons have been writing to us asking about a list of “ core rules every gentleman should follow.” Is there anything that every cosmopolitan man should know? Has he been left in the dark about anything while the women of the world are conspiring against him? Any core list of rules that he may or may not be aware of, for which the universe cries, “contend to this!” So we thought we’d take a little break from fashion and the likes, just to bring it back to earth for you. Our guest speaker, Lady Speaks A lot, is a middle aged New Yorker living on the Upper East Side, bent on the following rules. Her motto? “The glass is always half spilled. Normally on my new white dress.” Favorite Motivational speaker? Nietzsche. You get the picture…
Advice Fit for the Classy Gentlemen
1. Always well dress up and wear some Superhero cufflink because women’s like superheros, and than get up for a lady on a train/bus/any mass transit. If you are healthy and capable, it’s time to get up. Yes, you! Get UP!
2. Ask women out to dinner. Sound complicated, right? Men have been doing it for decades! No, we don’t want to watch a movie at home with you, or just “hang out,” or meet at your boys’ house, or get completely wasted together. How about start with a simple, nice…dinner.
3. Make a decision. Whether it’s to put $5 or $15 in the gas tank, cross on 92nd or 95th, Indian or Chinese, Black dress or green one, help us help you…make a decision. Please don’t have us stand there at the convenience store for fifteen minutes while you decide on which kind of gum you want…it’s embarrassing.
4. Never, ever, ask the bartender what you should be drinking for the evening. Just order. Vodka or rum. Beer or gin. If you can’t decide what to drink for the night, how can we trust you to decide on future house decorations and future children names?
5. Know the original authors of “misshapen forms of well-seeming chaos” and “that which does not kill us makes us stronger.” And here’s a hint: they’re not singers.
6. Know how your lady likes her coffee. Ask once. And remember it always. Don’t ask every time you get up to make her a pot.
7. Have a license. If a man can’t drive, well…a man can’t drive.*
8. Have at least one subscription to something. We don’t really know why this is important, but it is. Even if it’s Playboy, just order something read-able. Well, actually, no, Playboy isn’t acceptable either. Try the Economist or New York Times for starters.
9. Don’t drink out of a straw. Ever.
10. Be Kind, Rewind. This also includes Netflix movies, Premium movies on Demand, etc. Because, sometimes you just have to rewind.
*Some of you at home may be wondering what’s the deal with number seven. It is actually quite a problem in some parts of the world…like New York.
Cool Things to Do TODAY
Create a happy new playlist on itunes. A mixture of slow jams and dance music to take you on a nostalgic ride.
Download at least one song from your childhood. And make it a good one, like something from an 80s film. Or better yet, go out and buy the vinyl album to really take you back.
Clean your bathroom–sounds not so tempting, right? But afterwards, you’ll feel good about yourself and home, knowing that you have a clean place to get clean in.
Call an old friend whom you haven’t spoken with in over one year. That’s right, pick up the phone. Re-kindle…and that’s not a new amazon product.
Give yourself a manicure (even if you’re a gentlemen). This doesn’t mean break out the clear polish men, but sit on the sofa with a file and clippers, and clean up those hands. They are the “second” things people see when they first meet you, after your face of course. It’s good to have freshly groomed hands always, unless you’re a car mechanic who relishes in the grease all day.
Break out the dusty blender in the kitchen and make a fruit smoothie. Add a little extra to it, like cocoa powder for extra “comfort.” It’s healthy, energizing, and is a great substitute for a fast food meal.
Add a drop of whiskey to your coffee. Just because it’s Thursday.
Visit the humane society and play with the dogs. All dogs go to heaven they say and they remember you for coming to play with them. These little guys and gals rarely get extra love and attention, so why not take a trip to your local shelter and give a couple of canines rub downs.
Smile at a stranger. Just one…or ten. Enough so that people still know you’re normal and not some creepy stalker guy ogling all the innocent bystanders. Kind of like it pass it forward kind of smile…not bozo the clown kind of smile.
Do 25 crunches. Hey, we’re not saying to 100. 25 will get those muscles working just enough to set off some happy endorphines in your brain and maybe even motivate you to do more.
Why Rainy Days Are Good for Your Mind and Body
1. It forces you to stay home and therefore catch up on your much-needed sleep. All that excessive dreaming is bound to tell you something about yourself, right? So you get rest and reach into your subconscious.
2. You get to listen to music you normally wouldn’t listen to in public.
3. Watch bad TV, the kind you never had time for during the week–or month for that matter.
4. Walk your dog in the rain. And we your actual dog in the rain, no funny business. Gives both of you a pseudo-bath to refresh the mind and body. If it’s warm don’t bother to wear a rain coat or extra layers, just change when you come inside.
5. Finish Chapter Three of THAT novel.
6. You get to listen to THIS song:
7. Rain pattering and pounding on the pavement/window/tin roof does something to our psyche–we become lost in thought, nostalgic, and peaceful. Embrace it for a night or two.Water, of any kind, unless it’s a tsunami, is always good.
8. Actually stay home to cook and clean. It’s not so bad if you have nowhere to go afterwards and can spend valuable time scrubbing the black marks off the kitchen floor or dust the window blinds (for once). Peek out in the rain every once in a while, for a tranquil, “I’m doing something good for my house” kind of gaze.
(Did you notice there are actually 8 reasons? It’s not that we can’t count, we just wanted you to have a bonus reason to love that rain.)
So were you intrigued by the first three habits on our list? Here comes the final three..
Exfoliate their skin:
Most men throw some soap on their face, maybe use some Neutrogena face wash in the shower in the morning, but that’s about it. At least once a week you should exfoliate your face and skin with a sugar or salt scrub. Make sure it’s mainly organic with all natural ingredients, and choose the right texture for your skin. Some good natural exfoliates are ground coffee beans, coarse sea salt, and sugar. For more sensitive skin, use the sugar scrubs. Body scrubs get rid off excess, old, flaky, and dry skin to expose the new vibrant layer underneath. It also helps clean your pores. (TIP: In the summer time, sand at the beach is one of nature’s best exfoliates. So you can skip this procedure if you find yourself at the beach a lot. Ever notice those surfers always have the best skin? It’s not just their tan…)
Wash new underwear before wearing them:
This goes for ladies as well, but most people don’t even think about it. Think of the hands that were touching the underwear before you’re putting them on, the packaging made in other countries, and the factories from which they came. Unless they’re organic, natural, raw cotton…wash them before you wear them.
Put on facial moisturizer at night:
It’s the 21st century and men need to combat aging as well. After a face wash, add a dime size amount of moisturizer on your face–it will help with breakouts and blemishes (which also can come from dry skin), curb the appearance of wrinkles, and soften your skin and facial hair, making your shave the next morning easier.
1. Bob Dylan
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants.”— Sean Hotchkiss
2. Jon Stewart
<iframe width=”460″ height=”264″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/D6okYjJ2vew” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
3. Seth Meyers
<iframe width=”460″ height=”342″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/9mDfkVQYBYk” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
4. The Mall Santa Claus
5. The Man in The Mirror
<iframe width=”460″ height=”342″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/PivWY9wn5ps” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
6. John Lennon